Complete Trip Guide For Your Alibag (Alibaug) trip
Alibag (Alibaug) is a town situated on the Konkan coast of Maharashtra, near Mumbai. Alibag is a city which is around 300 years old and it was developed in the 17th century. It is a favorite and popular weekend location for residents of Mumbai and Pune. It is famous for its historic marine forts, clear sand beaches, fresh air, eye soothing greenery with coconut trees, pleasant atmosphere, tasty food and clean water. Alibag is considered as one of the most beautiful places in India. It is known as the king of beaches in Maharashtra, India and is also known as Mini Goa. There is one beach in the city and approximately 9 beaches around the city. Every year from November to January, around 4 – 5 fairs are organized in Alibag and its nearby villages.
How to get Alibag:
- By Road – It is best connected to Mumbai, Pune, Kolhapur, Nashik, etc by road.
- By Rail – The nearest railway station is Pen (28 kms) & Panvel (60 kms).
- By Air – The nearest airport is Mumbai (108 kms) and Pune (138 kms).
- By Sea – You can travel by catamaran or ferry. Nearest jetty is Mandwa. Catamaran and ferries do not operate during the monsoon season.
When to Visit Alibag:
Alibag experiences a moderate climate and the tourist season is in winter; between September to April. During this time the temperature ranges to maximum 34 degrees Celsius and minimum to 12 degrees Celsius. During this duration, you can enjoy long days of sunbathing. May and October are not favorable to visit Alibag as the humidity and heat increases around these months. Alibag experiences massive rains from June – August.
The most preferred language spoken in Alibag is Hindi, though a few inhabitants speak Marathi.
Alibag is popular for its fresh sea food, especially fresh fish. You can relish the mind blowing taste of Maharashtrian cuisine in Alibag.
You May Like :-> Top 10 Famous temples in India
Places to Visit in Alibag (Alibaug):
- Alibag beach: At this beach you can experience hard consistency black sand.
- Varsoli Beach: This is a beach with shining white sand and clean sea water.
- Akshi Beach : This beach is located 6 km away from Alibag.
- Nagaon beach : This beach is popular for betel nuts and coconuts.
- Kihim-Navgaon Beach : Kihim beach is well known for its thick cover of coconut trees.
- Kashid Beach : This beach is considered to be one of the cleanest and most attractive beaches with almost ‘white’ sand.
- Korlai Beach : This calm tranquil beach is known for its alternate white and black sands.
- Khanderi & Underi Islands : These islands were built by Shivaji Maharaj.
- Murud-Janjira : Janjira is a fort which was built by Siddi traders.
- Alibag Fort : This fort is also known as Kolaba fort which is well known for many battles, between Siddis and Kanhoji Angre.
- Siddheshwar Mandir : This is a popular Shiva temple.
- Kanakeshwar Mandir : This is a famous Shiv temple and is situated about 17 km away from Alibag.
- Bet El Synagogue : This is the only Synagogue in Alibag.
- Mandawa : This is located around 20 km north of Alibag.
- Chaul : It is visited for its Portuguese ruins, an old church, a synagogue, Buddhist caves, the Hamam Khana and a temple.
- Magnetic Observatory: This observatory was established in 1904 by the Indian Institute of Geomagnetism.